[squid-users] Bandwidth Limiting

From: Anthony DeMatteis <adematteis_at_commspeed.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 09:28:54 -0700

Hi group,

Has anyone played with limiting bandwidth via squid? I currently have
three bandwidth managers between my border router and customer base.
These servers limit traffic based on service customer has selected
(1.5M/768k, etc). There are a number of issues with this solution;
interface loads, load balancing, etc. I have implemented a single squid
server using wccpv2. While I see this as being beneficial to reduce
traffic on my routers upstream interfaces, I don't see it positively
affecting the traffic on my bandwidth managers. Traffic will still be
passing through these interfaces. In fact, I will have additional
traffic as port 80 traffic is diverted to the caching server(s). As I
understand wccp, it will load balance between the cache engines that are
visible to it. And I'm trying to understand squid pools. I'm thinking
I may be able to set up several squid servers using pools to load
balance and limit my traffic. Conceptually I envision this:

Upstream Provider
| |
| |
Router (wccpv2 - GRE Tunnels to each Caching Server
| |
| |
| |
Switch <-Backbone-> Network/Customer Base
| | | |
| | | - Cache1
| | |- Cache2
| |- Cache3
|- Cache4

Cache Servers would keep a replicated database of customer bandwidth
limits for use by local squid process. Am I reaching here, or is this
within the realm of possibility?

Any feedback is welcomed. Thank you.

Tony DeMatteis