[squid-users] TOS Portal?

From: Anthony DeMatteis <adematteis_at_commspeed.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 13:03:41 -0700

Quick question for you all. Would it be possible to use squid, in part,
as a Terms of Service portal? In other words, using an external_acl
helper, return OK if IP/MAC has accepted, or redirect if not? I would
love to use the wccpv2/gre tunnel and the fault tolerance built in to
eliminate a failure point by using a bridged or router acl solution.
I've played around with PFSense and M0n0wall and they don't really work
with our network/dhcp structure. We serve two different wireless
technologies and vlaning kills any of these options. We want only new
customers to get caught, but all customers to pass through in the event
of hardware failure. I looked at a solution FrontPorch offers and it's
pretty slick. They have both an inline and passive solution. The
inline uses a proprietary NIC that has a solenoid that trips in the
event of a hardware failure creating a hardwire connection. The passive
solution somehow uses communication with the router to redirect. They
mirror tcp traffic and I don't know what else. Anyway, I got a little
long winded there. Any thoughts? Thanks guys..

Tony