[squid-users] Redirection - How to in English for non programmers...

From: Geoffrey ROBERTS <geoffrob_at_stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:04:17 +1030

Situation:

Our Education office runs a Docushare site in the state capital.

We get a digest several times a day detailing changes to documents on that site for various
roles in the school to refer to.
These are supplied as an embedded hyperlink.

The docushare system is currently a little(?) broken and is appending :8080 to the domain i.e. forcing the browser to
access the link via port 8080.
Unfortunately port 8080 does not exist and the browser (direct or via squid) returns a server not found/taking too long to respond error.

The workaround (as the IT people there don't know how to fix it and aren't real sure why it's doing it) is to manually cut the offending :8080 from
the link in the browser address bar and retry, which makes it go to the default port (80). Naturally this works fine.

Mission:
Find a way to get Squid to do this automagically for the technophobes, so they only have to click on the (broken) link.

So we have url:

http://host.site.name:8080/rest/of/link/todocument

and we need it to become

http://host.site.name/rest/of/link/todocument

I am not a C programmer and I had an attempt at using the url_rewrite with a php script I copied and modified
from the wiki, but all that happened was that squid started refusing connections, so I assume I did something wrong.
I took out my changes from squid.conf and restarted and it's fine again.

Is there a method (preferably not involving authoring scripts)that can do this easily/quickly?

Thanks In Advance

--
Geoff Roberts
IT Supervisor