Re: [squid-users] reload_into_ims on

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 00:24:04 +1300

John Doe wrote:
> From: squid proxy <squidcache7_at_gmail.com>
>> I cannot understand this:
>>
>> # TAG: reload_into_ims on|off
>> # When you enable this option, client no-cache or ``reload''
>> # requests will be changed to If-Modified-Since requests.
>> # Doing this VIOLATES the HTTP standard. Enabling this
>> # feature could make you liable for problems which it
>> # causes.
>> #
>> # see also refresh_pattern for a more selective approach.
>> #
>> #Default:
>> # reload_into_ims off
>>
>> could someone pls explain?
>
> My understanding is:
> client no-cache or "reload" requests
> = If the client fetches a page with its cache empty or with a "shift-reload"
> will be changed to If-Modified-Since requests

No.
  If a client shift-reload's AKA, sends Cache-Control: no-cache
(meaning explicit 'dont send me cached content') in it's headers.
  - leaves you open to providing stale pages when you should not. (Due
to bug #7 in Squid).

> = Squid will ignore these no-cache headers and only retrieve objects that are more recent.
>
> But... it does not work for me... :/
> I have reload_into_ims on (plus ignore-reload ignore-no-cache in refresh_pattern) and each time I do a shift-reload in my browser, squid fetches again the whole page from the web server, even when he has everything already in its cache...

Are you sure Squid isn't sending a IMS request to the server and getting
the entire object back? Its teh servers choice whether the respond to
IMS with a full object or a 30x not changed.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.5