Re: [squid-users] reload_into_ims on

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 17:31:29 +1300

John Doe wrote:
> From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
>>> But... it does not work for me... :/
>>> I have reload_into_ims on (plus ignore-reload ignore-no-cache in
>>> refresh_pattern) and each time I do a shift-reload in my browser, squid fetches
>>> again the whole page from the web server, even when he has everything already in
>>> its cache...
>> Are you sure Squid isn't sending a IMS request to the server and getting the
>> entire object back? Its teh servers choice whether the respond to IMS with a
>> full object or a 30x not changed.
>
> If I do a simple reload, I get "TCP_IMS_HIT 304" entries in squid logs.
> If I do a shift-reload, I get "TCP_HIT 200" entries...
>
> Is there an easy way to see squid's request header?

A packet trace on the outbound side of squid.
The more interesting thing would be a packet trace of the whole
squid-server communication and see as I suggested, whether that 304
contains a body object or not.

Run this on the squid box:
   tcpdump -w $SERVERIP.trace -i $IFACE host $SERVERIP
where:
   SERVERIP is the IP of the remote server.
   IFACE is the internet-facing interface on the squid box.

And while its capturing, run your simple reload test.

The file $SERVERIP.trace can be browsed with
ethereal/tethereal/wireshark to view the traffic.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.5