[squid-users] Invalid URL on login.yahoo.com redirect

From: Andre Robitaille <andre.robitaille_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 14:28:39 -0500

I've been going at this problem for a couple days now, and really haven't
made any progress.  We're using Squid as a non-authenticated,
non-transparent proxy, which is working well for the most part.  I've found
a fix I think, which is being tested now, but I can't explain why the fix
works (if it really does).  For whatever reason, the squid.conf had
http_port 80 and 443 configured, which SSL being directed to the latter (for
no good reason, really).

If I use any port other than 443, everything seems to work fine.  Does
anyone have a clue as to why 443 during Yahoo login gives an invalid URL
error?

This particular issue comes up under the following conditions:

1. User is using IE7 or IE8.
2. User comes from a ca.yahoo.com (Canadian) page.
3. User goes to "sign in", and gets sent to the standard

login.yahoo.compage with a redirect variable.

4. User hits submit and completes login.
5. During the redirect back to ca.yahoo.com, user receives "The requested
URL "/", is invalid."

Of course, this all happens over SSL, so nothing other than CONNECT appears
in the logs. And if I through an man-in-the-middle proxy (Fiddler2,
Webscarab, etc.), it works fine.  Packet sniffing doesn't show anything of
interest either.

The access log shows:

CONNECT login.yahoo.com:443
CONNECT a248.e.akamai.net:443
.... error message in browser ....
.... long pause ....
CONNECT a248.e.akamai.net:443

What happens immediately afterwards in a working connection is:

GET http://ca.yahoo.com/

Thanks,
Andre