Re: [squid-users] Squid Crashes when cache dir fills

From: Angela Williams <angie_at_eoh.co.za>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 11:29:47 +0200

Hi!
On Thursday 26 February 2009, Wilson Hernandez - MSD, S. A. wrote:
> Amos Jeffries wrote:
> > Wilson Hernandez - MSD, S. A. wrote:
> >> I have cache_dir ufs /var/log/squid 60000 255 255

Your cache_dir line says create a squid cache directory structure 255 wide by
255 deep and allow it to grow up to 60G. Squid will continue to try and store
objects into the directory structure until either 60G limit is reached or the
filesystem - more like as not /var - runs out of space.
If it runs out of space squid is no longer able to write to its log files you
configured in your squid.conf file. If it cannot write to the log file it
cannot tell you want happened!

Do you want a nice simple solution?
Add a second hard drive and have squid create its 60G sized cache there.
Make certain logrotate is rotating the normal system logs and asking squid to
rotate its logs!

Use df and see just how fuch free space is really available in /var if it is a
filesystem in its own right.

Another thought?
How many users are trying to access the 'net via this proxy that you want to
store 60G in a 256 by 256 structure? Last time I looked through the docs and
faq's there was a good write up on sizing the cache - both hard and soft.

Cheers
Ang

--
Angela Williams				Enterprise Outsourcing
Unix/Linux & Cisco spoken here!		Bedfordview