Re: [squid-users] Daily log rotate

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 00:25:19 +1300

Bora Özden wrote:
> Hi Amos,
>
> Thanks for your answer. What i have on the /etc/logrotate.d/squid on
> an Redhat Enterprise 5.2 installation is
>
> /var/log/squid/access.log {
> weekly
> rotate 5
> copytruncate
> compress
> notifempty
> missingok
> }
> /var/log/squid/cache.log {
> weekly
> rotate 5
> copytruncate
> compress
> notifempty
> missingok
> }
> /var/log/squid/store.log {
> weekly
> rotate 5
> copytruncate
> compress
> notifempty
> missingok
> # This script asks squid to rotate its logs on its own.
> # Restarting squid is a long process and it is not worth
> # doing it just to rotate logs
> postrotate
> /usr/sbin/squid -k rotater

... has an extra 'r ' that should not be there.

this place also needs the script that does
> endscript
> }
>

> I dont know all the words /options on this script. so thats what i want
> to find out. when i look at the examples at google i nearly all see that

See the logrotate manual "man logrotate" for details on all the options
it accepts.

> (while giving example and also troubleshooting questions) no one nearly
> talks about any other path on the script except /var/log/squid
> (access.log,store.log) . It sound strange to me am i the one only uses
> different path for proxy logs (i use something /data...) or this script
> only wants this /var/log path. Cause ill edit it to use my real
> /data... path.

Not a problem, logrotate makes no assumptions about the logs.
Wherever you put them is what its filenames need to use.

All the descriptions use /var/log/squid or /var/logs/squid because those
are the default locations for Linux/BSD. Many people have other
locations, but the defaults are better used for public documents.

> And also the server was giving error while making squid -k
> rotate/reconfigure etc. service squid stop didnt worked and it seemed
> that system couldnt find the pid of the squid (or an old pid which is
> not recently used). Restarting the whole system worked and i did a
> manual squid -k rotate and it made the access.log change.

(extra 'r ', see above.)

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.5