Re: [squid-users] Firewalling the Proxy

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 19:34:24 +1300

Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Nyamul Hassan <mnhassan_at_usa.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was checking the requests to and from my proxy servers, and I noticed
>> that, while most src-port were TCP 80, 53, 443, some were very high TCP
>> ports. These high port packets would usually also be accompanied by an ICMP
>> request. Is this normal web server behaviour? In my firewall, accepting
>> src-port of TCP 80, 53, 443, or UDP 53, and ICMP, can I block all else
>> directed toward my proxy server?

No. There are no rules about what src-port can be.
Firewall dst-port that you don't want people getting access *to*.

Inbound HTTP connection accompanied by ICMP echo, sounds a lot like a
NetDB enhanced HTTP proxy (Squid?) doing best-source detection.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.5