[squid-users] Streaming is killing Squid cache

From: Brett Glass <squid-users_at_brettglass.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 20:16:28 -0700

Everyone:

This past week, we've had multiple events where Web browsing slowed
to a crawl and we discovered that our transparent Squid cache had
very high CPU loads (sometimes completely saturated). We
investigated, and saw that the cache was downloading streams from
sites such as "totalstream.net". Even after we turned off
transparent caching at the router, the cache continued to download
the stream, leading us to believe that the cache is trying to eat
the entire stream even after the requesting user has gone away.
Have others seen this problem? Will we have to disable transparent
caching due to problems with streaming?

--Brett Glass