Re: [squid-users] squid and ftp

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 13:40:23 +1300

shailesh shinde wrote:
> why does squid not support ftp ,smtp like protocols on the client side.
> Is it possible to write modules for such a support ?

Squid is an HTTP proxy. It converts FTP into HTTP. That is the only
support it has for such non-HTTP protocols.

It's possible to write such modules, but not part of what Squid does.
There are other software called FTP proxies and such for that.

> If yes what would be the feasibility of the work because we are a
> group of 3 third year computer engineering students willing to do our
> final year project on squid.

If you are just looking for a project to do there are a number of things
that need to be done. All listed on the RoadMap
  http://wiki.squid-cache.org/RoadMap/Squid3

I'd suggest taking on one of the features from Squid-2.7 which need to
be ported to 3.0. The code already exists in 2.7 for an idea of how to
do it, but most need a full re-write and re-test to work in Squid-3.
   http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.1/RELEASENOTES.html#s7
The authenticate short-circuit, broken vary, external_acl_type ACL/DATA
tags, or max_filedescriptors are all open for people wanting to give it
a shot.

Please get into contact with the squid-dev_at_squid-cache.org mailing list
for further contact on this or more ideas about things to do.

Cheers
Amos

--
Please be using