Re: [squid-users] Problem with certain java sites

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 22:27:44 +1300

Joop Beris wrote:
> Squid users,
>
> I am having a problem accessing/using certain Java enabled websites through my
> squid proxy.
> I am using squid-2.6.STABLE6-0.10 on a Suse machine (yes, I know this is an
> ancient release...). This release has been serving us very well and I am a bit
> reluctant to upgrade. However, I am willing to investigate that as an option.
>
> The proxy uses ntlm_auth to authenticate users against our ADS servers. This
> works fine...except for some Java sites. For some sites, the Java client seems
> unable to authenticate, but for this site, that does not seem to be the case.
>
> This site in particular is strange for me. It uses a Java applet to upload
> photos in order to create a gallery from them. It works partially, until the
> client actually wants to perform the upload, when I get a "software connection
> abort" from the client. I have a wireshark/tcpdump file of the
> transaction, taken on the proxy. I think the POST request from the client
> fails because it does not identify the HTTP protocol version.

You mean it sends only:
  "POST http://example.com/blah\n" ??

Squid identifies that as a special-case of HTTP labeled for convenience
version HTTP/0.9.

I'm not sure if auth or any other HTTP/1.0 actions that the POST might
need will actually be done when in 0.9 mode.

You may want to make the ACL sightly more restrictive:
    http_access allow Java POST
instead of just a global POST permitted.

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.6