[squid-users] Transparent proxy and Windows hosts file issue

From: Nick Duda <nduda_at_VistaPrint.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:55:55 -0400

This may seem stupid, How can we configure squid to allow employees to modify their own hosts file in windows to work? Currently if someone has a host file entry that points to a non-existent domain, they can ping it from their workstations fine, but when they browse they get the squid error page. Is there a way to tell squid to allow this kind of request or will I need to build up a hosts file on the transparent proxy itself.

The following error was encountered:
Unable to determine IP address from host name for whatever.whatever.com
The dnsserver returned:
Name Error: The domain name does not exist.
This means that:
 The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
 Check if the address is correct.

Regards,
Nick