[squid-users] Squid Performance Tuning with 0 IO Wait

From: Ben Jonston <ben.jonston_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:23:42 +1100

Hi Everyone,

I am currently doing performance testing with squid 3 and I seem to be
running into some bottlenecks. I have done exhaustive research
through the squid mail archives, Duane Wessels O'reilly book(a great
resource) and other areas.

I have a dual hyperthreading Xeon machine with 8GB of Ram running
CentOS 5.2 with its 2.6.18 based kernel. This machine is hooked up to
an I/O subsystem that essentially provides no device I/O waits. This
has been confirmed with 'top' showing effectively 0%wa during peak
load periods.

Apart from I/O tuning, what measures should I take to tune squid for
maximum requests per second and cache hit rates?

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Ben Jonston