Re: [squid-users] squid on 32-bit system with PAE and 8GB RAM

From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh_at_gcd.ie>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 13:13:01 +0000

Hi,

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Amos Jeffries wrote:

>> The server hardware isn't 64-bit so surely I can't run a 64-bit squid
>> build, can I?
>
> Ah, no I believe thats a problem. I kind of assumed that since your
> system could take >2GB of RAM it was 64-bit enabled hardware.

Ah well.

>> It may help that we're allowing large objects into the cache and using
>> "heap lfuda". We plot the average object size with munin and it's about
>> 90KB. Presumably the 10MB per 1GB is strongly a function of average object
>> size.
> http://deathcab.gcd.ie/munin/gcd.ie/watcher.gcd.ie.html#Squid
>
> (sites restricted, but never mind)

Sorry, that's fixed now if you want a look.

> Yes the rule-of-thumb was from past measures mediated by object size
> (averages between 64KB and 128KB). I'm surprised you are seeing such a
> low index size.

It is quite strange -- 90KB is bang in the middle of your range. We're
getting about 5-10% of cache hits served from RAM too so there's definitely
cache_mem in use.

>> The drops in RAM usage are all due to squid restarting. As long as I keep
>> the cache_mem below about 1.8-2GB
>
> Maybe the large-file changes in 2.7 will help then.

That's interesting.

>> Sorry, some of you may be scratching your heads and wondering why one would
>> do something so crazy. I've just got 4GB RAM sitting moreorless idle,
>> a really busy disk and would like to use one to help the other :-)
>
> Aha, in that case maybe. It would be an interesting setup anyhow.

I'll give it some thought, but it sounds like there's no other easy way to
use the spare RAM.

Gavin