Re: [squid-users] what is the difference between transparent and reverse proxy?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 20:19:05 +1300

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> What is the difference between transparent and reverse proxy?
>
> OK, it may sound like a naive question, but one can set up a transparent
> proxy to be a de facto a reverse proxy:
>
> - redirect traffic (iptables) from port 80 to 3128
> - add to squid.conf:
>
> acl proxy_websites dstdomain .example.tld
> http_access allow proxy_websites
>

> And we have a transparent proxy which is a reverse proxy when someone is
> trying to reach www.example.tld.
>
> Why should I use all directives for configuring a reverse proxy, if it
> works with the setup explained above?
> Or, am I missing something important here?

Yes. Transparent/intercept only works in the presence of NAT.
It also is not possible to perform any form of authentication, HTTPS, or
request modification without causing major problems to anyone who visits
the site.

All the old problems squid 2.5 has with virtual hosted domains, broken
client software, DNS loops, and request forwarding loops can be tracked
back to the reverse-accelerator mode using the transparent intercept
mode like you describe.

Amos

--
Please be using