[squid-users] CARP question

From: Chris Woodfield <rekoil_at_semihuman.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:44:37 -0400

Hi,

Had a question about squid's CARP implementation.

Let's say I have a farm of squids sitting behind an SLB, and behind
those I have a set of parent caches. If I were to enable CARP on the
front-end caches, is the hash algorithm deterministic enough to result
in a URL request seen by more than one edge cache to be directed to
the same parent cache? Or will each front-end cache have its own hash
assignments compared to the others?

Also, how does CARP handle parent server removals and/or additions
(i.e. are hash "buckets" reassigned gracefully or are they all
redistributed)? Is this behavior also deterministic between multiple
front-end squids?

Thanks,

-C