Re: [squid-users] Large-scale Reverse Proxy for serving images FAST

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 12:21:32 -0800

David Tosoff wrote:
> OK. Thanks Amos.
>
> Changing up the icp_port to a unique for each instance worked. I should have thought about that as all instances were on the same host (localhost/127.0.0.1) w/ the same port... duhh.
>
> So, I have a few other questions then: We're going to scale this up to a single-machine single-instance of 64 linux and 64 squid 3.0 --
> - What OS would you personally recommend running Squid 3.x on for best performance?

This space intentionally left blank.

> - Is there no limit to the cache_mem we can use in squid 3? I'd be working with about 64GB of memory in this machine.

Of course there's a limit. You just aren't likely to hit it with the
hardware you are using. Of course, as of Q3 2007 here's the official
answer: http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200709/0559.html

> - Can you elaborate on "heap replacement/garbage policy"??

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/cache_replacement_policy/ and
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/memory_replacement_policy/ (The
second link references the first, but would be the more relevant
directive if you are going to be using a memory-only Squid).

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/memory_pools_limit/

> Thanks again!
>
> David

Chris