[squid-users] Re: Transparent proxy in the same machine

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 20:35:49 +1300

Vivek wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to use squid on my machine and I dont want to do the proxy
> settings for all the browsers that I use. So I have configure squid in
> transparent mode and redirected the http request to port 3128.
>

> How do I differentiate the browser request and the squid's forward
> request and how to add an iptables exception ?.

You can't on the same machine.

Try setting the environment global: http_proxy="http://127.0.0.1:3128/"
(assuming thats the IP/port squid is listening for localhost stuff.

Then your browsers and other software only need to be set to 'use system
settings'. That setting is the default on a lot of system utilities, so
it catches their web access to useful effect too.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.6