Re: [squid-users] Pipeline and prefetch in squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 11:15:41 +1300

Vivek wrote:
> Hello All,
>

> 1. What is use of pipeline_prefetch in squid configuration?
>

> 2. What is the difference between pipelining and collapsed forwarding?
>

> I need your inputs.

Looks like nobody knows for sure.

I think pipeline is about pushing multiple separate requests down a
single TCP link before the first replies have come back. Increasing the
speed of responses, but at cost of error reliability in the later requests.

Collapsed Forwarding is about merging multiple client requests into a
single request and sending only one request. Reply goes to multiple
clients. (Think something like multi-cast stream merging, but for HTTP.)

You don't ask, but squid also does two other related connections:

  * keep-alive: similar to pipeline but waits for each response to
return in full and successfully before sending next request down the pipe.

  * pinning: where a specific connection is pinned for exclusive use by
a single client IP.

Amos

--
Please be using