Re: [squid-users] Massive Squid Deployment

From: bgovoni <bgovoni_at_pgcps.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 06:26:09 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks everyone for your response. For the record, I'm using a forwarding
caching setup. Meaning this is for our internet traffic. (we are one of the
largest k12's in the US) I'm running redhat5 for OS and I'm stuck with
running 2.5/2.6 do to I'm required to filter my internet traffic. My vendor
(netsweeper) requires their redir prcoess to run on 2.5 or 2.6. My
netsweeper deployment consists of 5 policy server that talk to 1 database
that phones home. This is why is say this is a massive deployment. Basically
I have 26 servers and a single load balancer... We also have 10g pipes
everywhere else, so the network and other transport layers aren't the issue.
The reason I suspect the load balancer is because when I point directly to
one of the proxies and bypass the lb. The traffic is smooth and not
sluggish. I was going to open a support ticket with foundry this morning and
see where I get. Ultimately I would like to do some benchmarks and some
performance tuning and will ultimately post back for all your professional
help. I would like to get the proxy count down if possible. Also another
reason I suspect the lb is we recently starting outsourcing our email
solution from in house exchange to gmail and have 24k users now on gmail.
The problems have started surfacing since the we finished the migration. I
know I need to re-optomize squid since our recent gmail change.