Re: [squid-users] Question on Strange network setup with 2 Squid servers.

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 02:11:04 +1200

Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> My College has two 10Mb connections to two ISPs.
> The campus has 4 Class C networks from the one ISP.
> 202.128.71.x
> 202.128.72.x
> 202.128.73.x
> 202.128.79.x
>
> The Router has the .1 on all 4 networks.
>
> The second ISP connects to the same router, but links via the IP address
> 202.151.91.113.
>
> The routing all goes the the router, and thru some systems, some IP
> addresses go normal route, and others seem to be NATed thru the other
> ISP.
>
> I have no ideal on how they have it configure.
>
> Now for what I have running. Had a squid server running on 202.128.73.28
> that uses the Main ISP and that has worked fine. I then setup a second
> Squid on 202.128.71.129 that is routed thru the other ISP. So, the computers
> in my Classroom can use either of the two ISPs based on which squid server
> they are set to us.
>
> This works OK, and if one checks the load on the networks, one can use the
> one least used.
>
> Is there a way to set the squid servers so they can use both paths most
> efficently.

Squid built with --enable-icmp and related pinger helper install will
test network load on all paths to destinations, selecting the fastest or
shortest link.

Building both Squid this way and not disabling netdb-exchange between
them makes them share their knowledge of the network topology and
destination speeds on a regular basis.

NP: Be prepared for some false security complaints from people who don't
understand what ICMP is designed for or how it works.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.6