Re: [squid-users] ...Memory-only Squid questions

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 12:49:17 -0800

David Tosoff wrote:
> Thanks Chris.
>
> I had already read both of the wiki post and the thread you directed me to before I posted this to the group.

Excellent.

> I already had compiled heap into my squid before this issue happened. I am using heap GDSF. And, I wasn't able to find "--enable-heap-replacement" as a compile option in './configure --help' ... perhaps it's deprecated??

Seems to be. Section 7.2 of the release notes says:

*--enable-heap-replacement*

    Please use --enable-removal-policies directive instead.

> Is it a still a valid compile option for 3.0 stable 13?
>
> In any event, a gentleman named Gregori Parker responded and helped me with some suggestions and I've managed to stabalize the squid at ~20480 MB cache_mem

Nice.

> The only thing I seem to be missing now is the SO_FAIL issue.
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume 'SO' stands for 'Swap Out'... But how does this affect a system where there is nowhere for the squid to swap out to (cache_dir null /tmp)...?

Well two things (not mentioned in the other replies) come to mind.
First you did specify that you've compiled in support for a null type
store_dir. Assuming you have the cache_dir null type is still a bit
weird (in 3.0) in that it requires a valid directory, even though it's
not supposed to write anything to it. Does /tmp exist, and does the
Squid effective user have access to it?

> Thanks for all your help so far.

For what help I can offer, you are most welcome.

> Cheers,
>
> David

Chris