[squid-users] multiple disks for cache storage

From: Graham Dixon <grahamdixon_at_ihug.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:08:57 +1200

Gd morning all,
I have noticed in some (at least one) recent postings with description
of a system which included only one large disk media.
Some time ago when I first explored the pleasures of building my own
proxy I learnt that better performance could be obtained from the
technology of the time by building the cache storage on a disk system
seperate from the OS, and logs, and built with multiple small disks.
With advances in disk technology does such a concept still apply ?
Or do larger disk caches, higher access rates and other improvements
mean that such tricks to reduce average seek times for cache reads are
less important on busy machines.

cheers
Graham