Re: [squid-users] Using Squid as a proxy to change network devices' properties instead of web broswers'?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 00:32:15 +1200

Phillip Pi wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I got Squid v2.7 stable 6 installed and working in a Windows XP Pro. SP2
> machine, with its IIS, as a proxy server. I can make clients' web
> browsers (e.g., IE and Firefox in Windows XP), go through this proxy
> server with no problems.
>
> I am wondering if I can use Squid to do the same proxy for network
> devices (e.g., onboard network). I would like to be able to set up PCs'
> Internet access instead of web browsers.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

The use of Squid as HTTP proxy is limited only individual app or devices
capabilities.

On windows XP the command "proxycfg -u" IIRC is sufficient to get the
MS-produced apps using the same settings as IE, whether they are proxy
or not.

I've heard tell of people using ActiveDirectory to push out proxy
settings to all machines in a controlled network environment, mayhap an
expert on that will say how if you need it.

Other devices and apps you will have to check out individually and see
what can be done.

As a fallback for the really limited apps there is always interception
at the network gateway device. Though this has a whole other set of
problems and should only be considered as a last resort.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.7