RE: [squid-users] Using Squid as a proxy to change network devices' properties instead of web broswers'?

From: Dean Weimer <dweimer_at_orscheln.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 13:19:44 -0500

That would solve this problem, but by forcing the use of a proxy, we get better control of the web traffic. It also allows us to use group policy to block access to setting the proxy for users not allowed to browse the web, without jumping through hoops required to setup authentication on the proxy server. We can't just block access to IE, because these users do need access to intranet applications. Currently there are only a couple of users that have laptops and access sites that have this problem the others are on desktops, and setting them to use the configuration script is a onetime deal. Even these users are a very small percentage probably only around 2% of all users.
Setting up a transparent proxy with authentication to stop the users not allowed internet access would have an impact on the other 98% of users who work just fine with the auto detect settings. Of course if Sun just implemented an auto detect option in the Java Runtime Environment proxy settings, all my problems would just go away.

Thanks,
     Dean Weimer
     Network Administrator
     Orscheln Management Co