Re: [squid-users] Help me on the meaning of "squid -v" output

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:37:11 -0800

Pandu E Poluan wrote:
> All,
>
> Previously I have asked about a certain output of "squid -v", however
> I am still confused.
>
> Please help me understand some output of "squid -v".
>
> I am using Squid 2.7.STABLE4 for Windows, compiled by Guido Serassio
> (acmeconsulting.it)
>
> C:\squid\sbin>squid -v
> Squid Cache: Version 2.7.STABLE4
> configure options: --enable-win32-service --enable-storeio='ufs aufs
> null coss'
> --enable-default-hostsfile=none --enable-removal-policies='heap lru'
> --enable-sn
> mp --enable-htcp --disable-wccp --disable-wccpv2
> --enable-useragent-log --enable
> -referer-log --enable-cache-digests --enable-auth='basic ntlm digest
> negotiate'
> --enable-basic-auth-helpers='LDAP NCSA mswin_sspi'
> --enable-negotiate-auth-helpe
> rs=mswin_sspi --enable-ntlm-auth-helpers='mswin_sspi fakeauth'
> --enable-external
> -acl-helpers='mswin_lm_group ldap_group' --enable-large-cache-files
> --enable-dig
> est-auth-helpers='password LDAP eDirectory' --enable-forw-via-db
> --enable-follow
> -x-forwarded-for --enable-arp-acl --prefix=c:/squid
> Compiled as Windows System Service.
>
> Here are my questions:
>
> [1] --enable-removal-policies='heap lru'
> does that mean that only "heap lru" method is supported? or all three
> heap methods + lru method?

This means you can use "lru", or any of the "heap" methods.

> [1a] heap gdsf
> if I specify "heap gdsf" in squid.conf, will squid just use "heap lru"
> silently? or should it emit an error?
> (currently I use "heap gdsf" in squid.conf, no error message)

Usually squid will throw an error (or a least a warning) in the
cache.log if something is remiss.

> [2] --prefix=c:/squid
> does that mean squid *must* be located in c:\squid? or may I move
> squid to another directory?

You can put Squid wherever you like. The "--prefix" configuration
directive just specifies the "root" for the rest of the configuration
directives. So Squid will (unless directed otherwise on the command
line) look for its config file at c:\squid\etc\squid.conf

> [3] --enable-storeio='ufs aufs null coss'
> what storage system is best for NTFS-based partition?

I can't really give informed answers when it comes to using Squid on
Windows, but in general, ufs is a fine choice for a lightly loaded
cache, aufs is better as the number of requests rise and coss (while the
new-kid-on-the-block) is a great supplement for small objects, in
conjunction with a aufs store. A null cache_dir is of course the
quickest, but it's write-only storage. :o)

> Thank you beforehand for your assistance.
>

> Rgds.
>

> [p]

Chris