Re: [squid-users] Using Squid as a proxy to change network devices' properties instead of web broswers'?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 14:39:57 +1200

Phillip Pi wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:38:44PM +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> Phillip Pi wrote:
>>> Question about this proxycfg.exe in XP: Does this work for all Internet
>>> program? I can get it to work with IE (v6-v7) and CDBurnerXP (to
>>> download its update for the program), but not Firefox. I read that the
>>> program has to know winHTTP. Am I understanding this correctly? If so,
>>> then how do I know which programs support that to do proxy?
>> The command is born from the fact that MS use more than one 'web access'
>> DLL API for their web backend(s) in Windows XP. IE sets the config for
>> one of the DLL, certain apps (WU amongst them) use the other library.
>> The command syncs the settings used by both DLL, nothing more.
>>
>> So the result is that various MS software are 'fixed' and start working
>> again with a proxy or after a proxy config is changed. But most non-MS
>> software is not affected.
>
> Thanks. Is there a list of non-MS programs that use this? It seems like
> it is WinHTTP API?

I've never seen a full list.

My experience has been that it fixes issues in:
  Windows Update
  Microsoft Update
  early IIS (the ones that could run on 'Home' edition)
  Microsoft Office (including some parts the plugin "Outlook")
  MSN Explorer
  Live Messenger (not 'Window Live Messenger' the older one.)

Though, some of those apps (namely outlook, and Messenger) are able to
do certain web requests without it, and require it for others. They only
appear partly broken until its done.

And it only is of use on Windows XP. I've just lost the link right now,
but there were other (netsh based) methods someone posted this week for
Vista and Windows 7.

Amos

--
Please be using