Re: [squid-users] reverse proxy filtering?

From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh_at_gcd.ie>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 17:42:01 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009, Jeff Sadowski wrote:

> Actually no you can browse books without login in.

Why not just prevent logins then by having squid block the login processing
page with a custom error page stating "no logins from outside"?

> Cool thanks but I'm seriously looking at using privoxy and maybe even
> privoxy and squid together
> because it appears privoxy makes a terrible reverse proxy and would
> leave my proxy box open for others to download illegal content. So my
> current plan is to run privoxy on some random port and point the
> reverse proxy to that port and wala both inline editing via privoxy
> with a simple search replace string and no other sites except the one
> specified for the reverse proxy via squid.

Your call of course, but it seems like you're over-complicating life. The
more links you have in the chain (squid, privoxy, ...) and the more complex
your setup, the more things can go wrong over the lifetime of the system.
For sure modifying the page content will be slower, but if you don't have
lots of users that may not matter.

Another thing to bear in mind is that upgrades to the web-based system may
well break either setup -- the URLs might change so your url blocking might
fail or the page content might change breaking your regular expressions.
In principal, a system which only _allowed_ certain URLs and blocked all
others would be more robust than blocking certain URLs, failing closed
rather than open.

Gavin