[squid-users] Forwarding problems

From: Pandu E Poluan <pandu_poluan_at_paninsekuritas.co.id>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:48:21 +0700

Hi all!

I've configured my proxies correctly, and now they work as expected.

* Requests to fast sites get forwarded to ProxyA, which uses FastInet
* Other requests gets handled directly by ProxyB and ProxyC, which uses
SlowInet

There's a problem, however, that recently cropped up.

I've added ".google.com" and "mail.yahoo.com" as a fast sites.
Accesses to Google and Yahoo Mail (mail.yahoo.com) gets accelerated, as
expected.

However, when trying to access the Google cache, apparently the URL uses
an IP address instead of a domain name, e.g. "72.14.192.66"
Same situation happened when accessing an attachment in Yahoo Mail, it
uses an IP address instead of domain name, e.g. "206.190.39.216"

I keep getting errors:

===== Error message snip =====

The following error was encountered:

    * * Unable to forward this request at this time. *

This request could not be forwarded to the origin server or to any
parent caches. The most likely cause for this error is that:

    * The cache administrator does not allow this cache to make direct
      connections to origin servers, and
    * All configured parent caches are currently unreachable.

===== Error message snip =====

I think ProxyB and ProxyC somehow performed a reverse DNS, and forwards
the IP-address-based requests to ProxyA, while ProxyA only allows
explicit URLs in its miss_access directive.

I've tried editing the ProxyA's squid.conf like follows:

#snippet of ProxyA squid.conf
acl fastsites dstdomain .yahoo.com
acl fastsites dstdomain .yimg.com
acl fastsites dstdomain .yahooapis.com