Re: [squid-users] Getting error msgs when trying to start squid

From: Henrique M. <henriquemarrocos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 07:02:12 -0700 (PDT)

Amos Jeffries-2 wrote:

> acl localhost src 192.168.2.5 # 192.168.2.5 Server IP, 192.168.2.1 Modem
> IP
>
> "localhost" is a special term used in networking to mean the IPs 127.0.0.1
> and sometimes ::1 as well. When defining an ACL for 'public' squid box IPs
> its better to use a different name. The localnet definition covers the
> same public IPs anyway so redefining it is not a help here.

So what do you suggest? Should I just erase this line or change it?

Amos Jeffries-2 wrote:

> http_access allow all
>
> This opens the proxy to access from any source on the internet at all.
> Zero inbound security. Not good for a long-term solution. I'd suggest
> testing with that as a "deny all" to make sure we don't get a
> false-success.

Will do that. How about the "icp_access"? What does this command do? Should
I leave it "allow all"?

joost.deheer wrote:

> Define "doesn't work". Clients get an error? Won't start? Something else?

Squid seems to starts, but clients can't browse the internet. They get the
default error msg that the browser shows when it can't load the website.
This actualy got me thinking if I am setting up the browser correctly? I'm
typing the servers IP for the proxy address and "3128" for the proxy port,
is that correct?

joost.deheer wrote:

> You could also try to start the proxy with 'squid -N' to start squid as a
> console application instead of in daemon mode. The errors should then
> appear on your screen.

How should I do that? I tried to start squid with "/etc/init.d/squid -N
start" and "/etc/init.d/squid -N" but I didn't work. I end up finding out
that I could check squid's status and for my surprise I got this message "*
squid is not running.". So how do I start squid so it will show me the
error msgs on screen?