Re: [squid-users] Squid on transparent proxy for 443 request

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 12:56:29 +1200

Jorge Bastos wrote:
> Hi there,
> What are the concerns that I need to have to make squid act as a transrent
> proxy on port 443?
> I need to catch the data that is being sent from a website that works under
> https, is it possible? Data
>
> Right now I only use it for standard port 80.

Not possible. HTTPS guarantees the client can see 100% of the machines
for itself to the source.

One user has recently pointed out that redirecting HTTPS URL's to a
local domain reverse-proxied by Squid might work though. The client
believes and accepts Squid credentials as its proper destination site
and Squid handles decryption->re-encryption going HTTPS to the remote site.

That is very similar to how SSLBump works with CONNECT requests in 3.1.
But may get past the invalid certificate issues.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.7