RE: [squid-users] Squid on transparent proxy for 443 request

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:42:45 +1200 (NZST)

> Oh I see,
> I won't bother then, was just for a experience.
> But anyway, since I'm only passing traffic from 80 through squid, I want
> add 443 traffic also.
> What aspects do I have to concerns about this, on how to active
> transparent
> mode for 443?

Concerns?
 1) transparent interception == man-in-middle attack.
 2) private details of clients are opened to you and anyone who gets
access to the middle machine.
 3) clients may be made aware by the security systems involved that you
are attacking them.

The only semi-legitimate arguments towards doing it in the first place is
for anti-virus scanning etc. Which adequate server or client AV systems
make useless anyway. All other control measures are human rights
violations of privacy, which is illegal in most parts of the world.

Amos