Re: [squid-users] number of clients

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 17:07:26 +0200

On 27.04.09 22:11, Tech W. wrote:
> I'm using squid3.0-stable13, on a linux box with the kernel 2.6.24.
> I found the value for this stat argument below is not correct most time.
> (got it with squidclient mgr:info).
>

> Number of clients accessing cache: 212
>

> for example, now its value is 212, but after some time it maybe become
> 202, not increase but decrease. Why this happen? thanks.

apparently because some clients stop sending requests and disconnect.

Note that HTTP protocol is stateless and each request is independent on
other requests. Browsers mey even close connection between requests, send
connections to other proxies, and client may be another proxy forwarding
requests from other clients through the same connection.

It is very hard to decide who is online and who is offline in HTTP.

(R)etry, (A)bort, (C)ancer