Re: [squid-users] Attempt to retrieve interface list failed: (9) Bad file descriptor

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 17:18:12 +1200

Dayo Adewunmi wrote:
> Mehmet CELIK wrote:
>>
>> Hi..
>>
>> You should be look max_filedesc in squid.conf..
>>

>> Regards.
>> --
>> Mehmet CELIK
>>

>> > Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 11:26:27 +0100
>> > From: contactdayo_at_gmail.com
>> > To: squid-users_at_squid-cache.org
>> > Subject: [squid-users] Attempt to retrieve interface list failed:
>> (9) Bad file descriptor
>> >
>> > Hi
>> > I keep getting this error in /var/log/squid/cache:
>> >
>> > Attempt to retrieve interface list failed: (9) Bad file descriptor
>> >
>> > There doesn't seem to be anything in the FAQs about it, and the only
>> > thing I found on google was this:
>> >
>> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Linux_Networking/Q_23432218.html
>>

>> > but that didn't help.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> >
>> > Dayo

>> Live.com'u deneyin - hızlı ve kişiselleştirilmiş giriş sayfanızla
>> istediğiniz her şey tek bir yerde. tek bir yerde.
>> <http://www.live.com/getstarted>
>
> Well, I've upgraded to squid3, and I'm going to observe it for a while,
> to see if there's any improvement.
> Regards
>
> Dayo

To process the ARP ACL on Linux Squid must locate all the ethernet
interfaces, then test each for the client IP address, then retrieve any
MAC/EUI-64 information which might be present on the receiving interface.

This message you are seeing is Squid failing to locate any ethernet
interfaces to test. I'd say its either your box interfaces being labeled
as some type other than ethernet.
For example I'm not sure if PPPoE/PPPoA/serial/modem interfaces or GRE
tunneled data match the ARPHRD_ETHER type being filtered on.

If the problem remains please open a bug report with info about the
Squid versions tried, kernel version, and interfaces receiving traffic.
Particularly

Amos

--
Please be using