Re: [squid-users] transparent proxy with Active Directory Login

From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh_at_gcd.ie>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 12:52:16 +0100

On Thu, 14 May 2009, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> What can be done is to glean some details such as machine IP and do some
> local not-quite-auth testing on it to see who is logged in and get their
> username back (NP: not password). AD may be able to map IP to current
> user. This has to be done in the background with an external_acl_type
> helper. It's called out-of-band authorization.

Are there any docs or howtos around on this? We use authentication one one
subnet, but it's a bit of a pain. We're not really that concerned to
require people to remember passwords, we just want to work out who the user
is with a reasonable level of accuracy. Authenticated proxies seem to
break various clients so if out-of-band might be an interesting
alternative.

Gavin