Re: [squid-users] Is it true that even threaded Squid can't benefit from SMP systems?

From: rihad <rihad_at_mail.ru>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 17:47:46 +0500

Jeff Pang wrote:
> rihad:
>

>> But what about Posix threads & Async IO? (./configure
>> --enable-async-io=2 ...)? Don't they take advantage of multiple
>> CPUs/cores/cache_dirs?
>>

> Yes Async-IO benefits from multi-cpu on disk IO, if you're using it.
> Squid's main daemon is a single process, that benefits nothing from SMP
> system.

Since disk I/O is often the bottleneck (given enough RAM), it can be
said that, thanks to async I/O, Squid mostly scales well to the number
of CPUs, issuing several disk I/O operations simultaneously &
asynchronously, so it can proceed to execute the main loop without
waiting for I/O completion? In that case that part of the FAQ needs
updating, I guess.