Re: [squid-users] Does Squid scale well?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 13:41:15 +1200 (NZST)

> Can someone please say how well Squid 3.1/tproxy scales? Would it have
> problems servicing more than 10k simultaneous HTTP requests, and pushing
> as much as 300 mbit/s of traffic? 500 mbit/s? 1 gbit/s?
>

> Planned hardware & setup:
>
> Dell Poweredge 6850 server QUAD Dual Core 3.4GHz 8GB
>
> Hard Drives:
>
> cache_dir will be split across
> 5x 73GB SAS 15K hard drives
>

> All will run on Ubuntu 9.04/testing mix w/ WCCPv1.
>

> Thanks in advance.

3.1/TPROXY uses about 2 syscalls more than 3.1/NAT. Bugger all difference
in total.

The problem is more likely to be WCCP, most of the installs I hear about
with TPROXY/WCCP are broken somehow. Not to say there aren't some working,
but I've heard less cries for help ending in success.

As for overall scaling. Less than 10K requests though for those on regular
proxy duty. We've seen 50Mbps pipes being flooded by Squid-3 no problems.
Above that you need to start tuning stuff like disks, reducing ACLs,
multiple Squid etc to fill the pipe.

Amos