Re: [squid-users] --enable-http-violations

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 15:19:46 +1200 (NZST)

> What exactly does compiling with --enable-http-violations do? I was
> under the impression it just allowed ignore-private, ignore-no-store,
> ignore-auth, override-expire, etc to work however I am starting to doubt
> that.

It enables use of all config settings which, if changed from the defaults,
will cause your Squid to disobey HTTP and other RFC protocol requirements.
Caching things which should not be cached (ignore-* and override-*) are
just a few of those settings.

> Even removing all options on affected refresh_pattern's still
> result in certain pages not refreshing properly.

To make things operate properly IMO its best not to use any of the
violation settings. They are the cause of breakage more often than not.

I think you need to get a wire-level trace of the requests going to/from
Squid with the client and server both.

Amos