Re: [squid-users] Proxy and cache of SSL with client auth?

From: Justin Binns <jbinns_at_tap.tv>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 11:35:41 -0500

I had thought of this as a forward-proxy, because the clients and the
proxy server are all on the same network, and the proxy is providing
caching for the clients. The purpose of this is to reduce bandwidth -
let me provide a more thorough concrete description of the application.

We distribute large files to facilitate our application. These are
media files, mostly, and therefore static. When we install several
clients in the same customer location, each one would normally fetch
these files, thereby multiplying the amount of traffic on the customer's
internet connection by the number of client boxes installed. We want to
avoid this, and so we are investigating methods for having one box cache
the content, with the other clients fetching it from the local cache.
One of the methods we are investigating is squid, which appeared to
provide what we needed with very little change to our existing clients
or servers. I believe this is the poster child for forward-proxy /
cache configurations, except for the SSL wrinkle....

Thanks in advance for any help ;-)

Justin