Re: [squid-users] Forward SSH on internal machine through Squid to external server

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 13:57:37 +1200 (NZST)

> Hi there Squid users,
>
> I would like to forward an scp session from one internal machine through
> the Squid proxy and connect to an external machine. I have found many
> documents that write about running squid over SSH but not the other way
> around. I searched on the Squid-Cache wiki for SSH but could not find
> anything.

Squid provides the CONNECT HTTP method for this type of thing.

Setting the system http_proxy environment variable may make scp use that
proxy as a gateway. If not you are probably out of luck. scp is intended
to be very simple and easy to use for end-to-end encrypted links. Adding
squid to the equation breaks that.

> Idealy I would like to place an entry in the .ssh/config file so that when
> I type : ssh fred_at_130.222.222.222 it will automatically sent to squid and
> then forwarded to port 22 on the 130.222.222.222.
>
> The internal machine is a UNIX box.
>
> Are there any particular settings in the squid.conf that I have to enter
> and has anyone ideas for the .ssh/config file?

Check the proxy capabilities of your programs (ssh, scp, whatever) they
need to be capable of transport over HTTP-proxy. If they do configure it
and set whatever ports they need to CONNECT to, to both the Safe_ports and
SSL_ports ACL.
If they don't support transport over HTTP-proxy thats the end of it.

Amos