Re: [squid-users] How to set up squid?

From: Yan Seiner <yan_at_seiner.com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 15:48:07 -0700

Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Yan Seiner wrote:
>> I have a question about setting up squid in my environment.
>>
>> My network is fairly generic:
>>
>> a firewall running openwrt, 4 mb flash and 8 mb ram, providing NAT
>> a server providing DNS and DHCP services; this machine is also used
>> for terminal services so users are logged in to this machine directly
>> assorted clients
>>
>> I've had squid set up on a 'opt-in' basis. Now I have a request to
>> make it transparent for all users with the intent of disabling web
>> access during specified hours.
>>
>> The problem I have is that my firewall is not able to run squid, and
>> all the examples assume that the squid box is either the firewall or
>> provides NAT.
>>
>> Is it possible, without a huge amount of complications, to run squid
>> on this sort of setup?
>>
>> If so, does anyone have a recipe for doing so?
>>

> Squid box had best be the one doing NAT because all source info is
> lost during NAT interception and Squid needs to look it up. Note I
> wrote "NAT interception", thats a more correct name for "transparent".
>
> Squid does not have to be on the firewall or router to do NAT though:
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Intercept/IptablesPolicyRoute
> the tutorial ironically was written for people using OpenWRT :)
>
> Amos
Hi Amos:

Obvously I got something just half right:

While trying to retrieve the URL:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/05/landmark-study-drm-truly-does-make-pirates-out-of-us-all.ars

The following error was encountered:

    Unable to determine IP address from host name for /arstechnica.com/

The dnsserver returned:

    Server Failure: The name server was unable to process this query.

This means that:

 The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
 Check if the address is correct.

Your cache administrator is webmaster <mailto:webmaster>.

Generated Fri, 29 May 2009 18:53:43 GMT by www.seiner.com
(squid/2.7.STABLE3)

I've configured this as best as I can following

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Intercept/IptablesPolicyRoute
on the firewall/router
and
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Intercept/LinuxRedirect on
the squid box.

As soon as I enable the iptablesPolicyRoute on the fw my DNS fails....

I can't figure out why.... Those rules should only affect tcp packets to
port 80.

Does anyone have this setup working? Could they please send me some
instructions for morons?