[squid-users] Evaluating traffic for caching benefits.

From: Ray Van Dolson <rvandolson_at_esri.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 17:29:18 -0700

Any suggestions on how to go about evaluating web traffic for
"cacheability"? I have access to a port that can see all the web
traffic in our company.

I'd like to be able to gauge how many hits there are to common sites to
get a feel for how much bandwidth savings we could potentially gain by
implementing a company-wide web cache.

I suppose creative use of tcpdump could be used here (obviously not
catching https traffic), but maybe there's a more polished tool or some
slicker way to do this.

Thanks,
Ray