[squid-users] squid never asks for authentication

From: Yan Seiner <yan_at_seiner.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 04:12:13 -0700

I'm trying to set up squid authentication, and I must be missing
something simple. I've tried both pam and ldap; while each works
separately, neither will work with squid. The browser never pops up the
authentication dialog box.

If I use basic or htdigest auth in apache, the browsers properly display
the auth dialog box. But not with squid.

auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/pam_auth

acl AUTHENTICATED proxy_auth REQUIRED
acl our_networks src 192.168.128.0/24
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/32
acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0