Re: [squid-users] Distributed reverse proxy ?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 03:23:34 +1200

howard chen wrote:
> Hey,
>
> 1.
>
> Does squid support reverse proxy working in fully distributed setup?
>
> E.g.
>
> LVS ---- Squid 1 ---- Apache Pool
> |----------Squid 2 ------|
>

> It is easy to setup squid as reverse proxy, however, one of my
> requirement is that data in Squid1 and Squid2 does not overlap, so if
> cache miss in Squid1, it will route to Squid2 and vice versa.
>
> The idea is to increase the overall hitrate of the system given
> limited storage space in proxy.
>

> 2. If answer to (1) is yes, can the architecuure can be a hirarchical
> distributed?

Yes. I don't have any good docs to point to yet, but its pretty simple.

NP: Usually developed with two layers of Squid and one of apache instead
of LVS. May require the LVS to have CARP abilities.

  * Top Squid gets configured with the second layer Squid as 'carp'
cache_peer, and no caching (cache deny all).

  * Second layer Squid get configured with Apache's as 'carp' cache_peer
in turn and caching enabled.

The result is a mesh that filters requests down to the web servers and
data back to the client via shortest efficient route with no or minimal
duplication of data.

Wikimedia use it for their setup IIRC
http://www.squid-cache.org/Library/wikimedia.dyn

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.8 or 3.0.STABLE16-RC1