RE: [squid-users] Transparent Proxy - Windows Update - 0x80072F8F

From: <Steven.Glogger_at_swisscom.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 17:54:41 +0200

hi amos

> Welcome to the world of security protection against
> man-in-middle attacks (the correct name for 'transparent'
> interception proxy mode).
>
> Windows Update requires a HTTPS authentication request to
> succeed before it will update. The authenticator
> unconditionally verifies the security certificates as all
> good browsers and web clients should also be doing.
>
> ... catch my drift?

yes, but normally some message is popping up to the customer saying: yeah dude, there's a certificate but it's wrong. you want me to do something?
but i see, i have to 'bypass' microsoft updates on the firewall instead of forwarding it the to proxy.... thats a hack, and i dont like hacks.. ,-(

-steven