Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.1 Release Date

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 20:03:20 +1200

Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Silamael wrote:
>> Francois Cami wrote:
>>> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ReleaseProcess#head-eea0e990c0003af12917552175691a5120980cdd
>>>

>> Thanks for the reply but this doesn't answer my question.
>> I now that Squid 3.1 is already released in X.Y.0.z. I just wanted to
>> know if there is any planned date. If you say, most likely in April,
>> that's already enough. Just need an approximate date for some internal
>> plannings.
>>
>> -- Matthias
>
> We don't exactly date things here. With everyone working on voluntary
> time its unpredictable. Though there has been a fairly regular 4-week
> cycle for new X.Y.0.z beta releases.
>
> For planning and upgrade testing, 3.1.0.6 is a fairly stable point to
> begins with.
>
> Back before we/I decided to adopt the fluid feature inclusion we had a
> set of approved features for 3.1. The last of these given a guarantee of
> being in 3.1 is still grinding it's way through testing (far too
> slowly). I expect that will take us through March and maybe April before
> 3.1 gets a chance of even starting the stable waiting period.
>
> There is also a short list of RC bugs which we consider major enough to
> need fixing before we call it stable.
> Many of these bugs are only confirmed to exist in 3.0. But they are
> serious enough that we really NEED someone who can see them in 3.0 to
> test 3.1 and confirm they are not still hiding.
>
> Last time I had to guesstimate a timeline I said mid-year (june/july)
> 2009, I've seen no reason to change it for better or worse yet.
>
> Amos

Seeing as its june/july time period now I reckon it's also time for an
update.

Since I wrote that in March:
  * The last holdout feature mentioned has now been removed from the 3.1
blockers list.
  * 3.1.0.9 will have everything short of bug fixes included by the end
of June.
  * Rollout of official beta packages has begun on OS distributions.
  * More RC bugs are appearing, but people are more dedicated than ever
to fixing them.

So July 1st is looking like the start of the end-game on 3.1 betas.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.8 or 3.0.STABLE16-RC1