Re: [squid-users] Possible to setup a broadband connection on Debian?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:31:39 +1200

Mark Lodge wrote:
> My current setup is:
>
> Squid Proxy Server--------->
> Client PC-----------------------> ADSL Router -------> Internet
> Client PC----------------------->
>
> I want the Client PC to use the Squid Proxy Server for internet.
>
> There are 2 ways i have in mind
>
> 1st option: Set the ADSL Router into bridge mode and connect the Squid
> Proxy Server to the internet via a dial up broadband connection with
> username and password.
>
> 2nd option:Use another server as SUSE router and use that between the
> client and Squid Proxy Server
>
> I want to go with the 1st option but i don't know how to do it. How do
> you setup a broadband connection on Debian?

ADSL if handled is very country-specific. Please contact the Debian
and/or DSL help people about all that. Your own local NOG or LUG groups
may be able to help if you can find them.

The easy alternative is to have 2 NIC on squid box and plug the ADSL box
into one side and a switch with clients hanging off it on the other. Set
ADSL box to DMZ all traffic to Squid box. Then you only need to know
iptables and setup routing inside the squid box. DSL box still happily
handles all login and protocol magic they do.

Just make sure the client hosts don't have a direct link to the ADSL box
without going through the Squid box. Things get rather nasty and
complicated if they do.

Amos

--
Please be using