[squid-users] Serving from the cache when the origin server crashes

From: Myles Merrell <mmerrell_at_cleverex.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 16:44:34 -0400

Is it possible to configure squid to continue serving from the cache,
even if the originserver has crashed?

We have squid setup using acceleration through a virtual host. Squid
listens on 80, and our web server works on another server on port 81.
Squid serves the majority of pages through the cache, and when it has to
it gets them from the server. We'd like to be able to take the server
down periodically, and have the squid cache continue to serve pages in
the cache.

Is this reasonable?, if so, is it possible?

thanks.
myles.