Re: [squid-users] Having trouble figuring out delay pools

From: nyoman karna <balique8061_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 00:40:09 -0700 (PDT)

> (and again, if network
> is idle users should get more bandwidth.)
>
> Again, delay pools do not really allow for this.
> You'd have to look into a fair queuing algorithm for your
> firewall to do this properly.

Delay Pools and Firewall is just a traffic shaping
not a Bandwidth Management System (BMS)
which can share idle bandwidth from upper class.

to do this (sharing idle bandwidth)
you need to use 3rd party application
like CBQ (Class Based Queueing) or
HTB (Hierarchial Token Bucket)
and usually combination with your firewall.

you may check which BMS is available for your platform,
but I need to tell you this, BMS will eat up your resources
(processor, memory, hard drive transaction, etc).

Nyoman Bogi Aditya Karna
       IM Telkom
 http://imtelkom.ac.id